Welcome to School!
We are so pleased that you have chosen to come to Matthew Arnold and we can’t wait to meet you all. We hope that you are all having fun in the sunshine and keeping safe.
I have attached some fantastic resources that will help you gain an understanding of the things you can do to help prepare your child for school. Some of the most important things for your children are:
- Developing their independent skills (putting on own clothes, going to the toilet by themselves and wiping their own bottoms)
- Getting into a routine (bedtime, lunchtime)
- Communication - talking about what they are doing and asking questions, singing nursery rhymes and getting them to hear the words that rhyme is also a fun and beneficial activity.
- Social interaction - playing games and learning to take turns and using their imagination in their play.
- Attention & listening - share stories and this is a valuable skill for children to learn to sit and listen to them and then answer simple questions about the story.
We just want to reassure you at this time of uncertainty that we won’t forget you and will give you as much support as any other year. Unfortunately, we don’t have any set dates to return therefore our current transition practices may need to be adapted to suit this unique situation.
Please find the below links useful
EYFS Lead & Reception Class Teacher
Am I ready for school?
Listen and learn
Make a mark, make a start
Happy talk (communication)
Steps to starting school
Starting school BBC bitesize
Starting school parents toolkit
Preparing for school
Story ‘While we can’t hug’
Liverpool EYFS Padlet
Stories about starting school